While at Citrix Summit this year, there were quite a few major announcements that I thought should be worth mentioning. I do have to say, that companies in the EUC and virtualization space are trying to be as innovative as they can lately. This is partially due to the growing competition out there in the VDI, cloud, and virtualization spaces (i.e.: Citrix, VMware, Microsoft, and even newer "BYOD" companies such as WorkSpot).
- Citrix acquires Sanbolic, a leader in work-load oriented storage virtualization technologies. Sanbolic enables Citrix to develop pre-packaged, tested, integrated solutions that lower the cost and complexity of VDI and app delivery deployments. Customers can use existing storage arrays or infrastructure, whether on prem or a cloud service. http://www.citrix.com/news/announcements/jan-2015/citrix-acquires-sanbolic.html
- Citrix unveils the WorkspacePod: CWP leverages Sanbolic to develop pre-packaged offerings that include integrated compute, storage and networking for delivering apps while offering customers flexibility in achieving cost and complexity reduction goals. They can be deployed as standalone or in a mesh configuration within a datacenter, as well as in remote or regional branch offices.
- WorkSpace Pod powered by HP (Moonshot), available 1H 2015 for POCs
- Citrix will start collaborating more with other partners like Cisco and Dell in future
- Technical overview link for HP WorkSpace Pod
- XenApp & XenDesktop 7.6 Further Updates (Q1 2015)
- XenMobile Release 10 (Q1 2015): the new release includes client and server updates that will enhance workflows for productivity apps and deliver a unified platform for simpler management and deployment. Customers will now be able to:
- Deploy a self service portal for users
- Leverage RSA adaptive authentication
- Provide FIPS 140.2 advanced encryption support
- Manage MDM and MAM components from a single pane of control (combined VMs!)
- Citrix WorkSpace Cloud (Formerly Citrix Workspace Services): www.citrix.com/workspacecloud CWC is a scalable cloud platform that automates the design and delivery of desktops, apps and data as a services on a hybrid cloud infrastructure. It’s first service, Service Lifecycle Manager, will roll out in late Q1 with full product availability later in the year.
- Compared to Horizon DaaS and AWS, CWC offers customers more choice: infrastructure choice: on-prem, public, private, hybrid, virtualization platform choice desktop model choice: server based, VDI, hosted, etc, choice to deliver a complete workspace choice of how to deploy based on economics, compliance, etc. I can't wait to see how this fairs against similar products.
Valued partners and advisers such as Anexinet are collaborating very closely with Citrix and HP to ensure that we provide the best solutions possible. For more information, please don't hesitate to contact us!
Labels: 2015, Citrix, Citrix Summit, Enterprise, EUC, Mobility, Receiver, sanbolic, summit, updates, virtualization, warp drive